On June 15th of 2013, the NORTH STAR BOYS’ CHOIR was invited to sing for mass at the world-famous St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice. This was a huge honor; a memory that makes us all proud to have been a part of such an event!
Saint Mark’s Basilica
is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, in northern Italy.
The present-day St. Mark’s basilica was built in AD 978 and came to form the basis of the present basilica since 1063.
The basilica was then consecrated in 1094, the same year in which the body of Saint Mark was supposedly rediscovered in a pillar by Vitale Faliero, doge at the time. The building also incorporates a low tower (now housing St Mark’s Treasure), believed by some to have been part of the original Doge’s Palace.
For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building has been known by the nickname Chiesa d’Oro (Church of gold).